The first headquarters of the institution (from 1957) was at Stefánia (at that time: Vorosilov, later Népstadion) út 97, formerly the halls of residence of the College of Theatre and Film.
The main building in Buda (Budakeszi út 51/E) was inaugurated in late 1976; architect: Mária Siklós.
The building has a stained glass window made by applied artist György Z. Gács. The lobby’s ceramic relief (a dragon) and statue in the garden are by János Majoros.
In order to resolve storage problems, in 1994 the building on Stefánia Road was exchanged for a building on the premises of the Hungarian Film Laboratory, which was renovated and rebuilt, new storerooms were established, and the library was transferred from Stefánia Road to here.
Currently the Archive has a 1725-sqm air-conditioned storeroom, where the approximately 810 tonnes of film reels are stored on a total of 14 km of shelving.